As winter draws near, now is the perfect time to make sure that you won’t have any heating and cooling issues in the middle of the holiday season. Your electric bill is expected to rise during the winter months but you can lower your costs by avoiding any unexpected breakdowns. The best way to keep a functional HVAC system is to have the maintenance done professionally. Professional HVAC technicians are excellent at their job and they have techniques that may be hard for everyday homeowners to replicate. However, there are other means of maintenance that homeowners can easily do at home.
Here are some HVAC maintenance tips to help keep your system running seamlessly this winter:
- Changing the filter – the very basic part of HVAC Florence maintenance is changing the filter. This can be easily done. However, the process may vary depending on what make and model you have. The purpose of replacing the air filter is to allow the system to circulate the air a lot better. Over time, the air filter will trap contaminants in the air. As the contaminants pile up in between the pores of the filter, it becomes harder for the system to circulate air.
- Cleaning the air ducts – the ductwork in your HVAC system must also be cleaned. As air passes through the air ducts, contaminants sometimes hit and cling onto the surface. A thin layer of dust and debris will stick to the inner wall of the air ducts which could house allergens and other debris that could be harmful to humans. However, cleaning air ducts can be hard. This is why professional heating and cooling are often advised for cleaning the ductwork.
- Installing a new thermostat – one crucial component of any HVAC system is the thermostat. The thermostat is what signals the system to heat or cool. Without a properly functioning thermostat, your home might not be as comfortable to live in. Other than that, you might be faced with a huge electric bill as the temperatures are not balanced out when needed.
- Ensure you have adequate insulation – although your insulation isn’t directly connected to your HVAC system, it can prevent or allow it to perform properly. Make sure that your home has enough insulation to keep in the cold during the summer and the heat during the winter. Also, it is important to find any leaks where air could possibly escape. Leaks lead to cooling or heat loss which affects how your HVAC system operates as well as impact your energy bill.
5. Schedule an HVAC inspection – the last thing that you should do is schedule an HVAC inspection by professionals like Florence HVAC Experts. While DIY HVAC maintenance may seem adequate, there are instances wherein issues can only be detected by the trained eyes of an HVAC technician. Be sure to have your system scheduled for maintenance before winter rolls in. This way, you can avoid any breakdowns in the middle of winter and possibly ruin your holiday experience.
Keep your HVAC system in good running condition! Call Florence HVAC Experts today! You may reach us at (843) 636-3260 for more information about the services we offer.
Florence HVAC Experts
Florence, SC 29501